Many people hate the smell and taste of their tap water. However, water plants cannot avoid the fluoridation of drinking water and they don’t remove fluoride. We must notice that the fluoride in the water doesn’t only influence the smell and taste of drinking water but also influence our health. Therefore, we must find methods to remove fluoride from our drinking water. Here, I’ve listed some methods can remove fluoride and some methods you think they can but cannot remove fluoride effetely.
Effective methods to Remove Fluoride from Water
Reverse Osmosis system
This is one of the most effective ways to remove fluoride. It is used to produce bottled water (not all). Therefore, some bottled waters don’t contain fluoride. I don’t recommend you to buy bottled water, which may cost you much money in the long run. Investing a RO system can help you get unfluridated water at home. It is affordable. You can spend about $200 to get a most popular one. You can install it under the sink. Therefore, once you turn on your faucet, you can get pure filtered RO water to drink and cook.
Activated Alumina Defluoridation Filter
This type of filters is effective. However, it is a little expensive. Although one filter may cost you $30(the lowest price), you need to replace the filter frequently, which can cost you much money. However, a RO unit only needs to change filter every 6 months and can offer plenty of water. Anyway, this is an option and try to find the balance.
On the market, there are some commercial distillation filters which are used to remove fluoride. This also means distillation cannot remove fluoride. If you want to purchase bottled water, just remember distilled water doesn’t mean it is suitable for drinking, because it may contain other contaminants. When you are looking for a home distiller, you also need to notice if it comes with a post-filter to remove Vocs (like fluoride). You can read my previous post – how to make distilled water at home.
These Do NOT Remove Fluoride
Water pitcher filters
Water pitcher filters like Brita, Pur cannot remove fluoride. Although some websites advocate they can, the companies’ official websites confirm that they cannot effectively remove fluoride.
As water begins to vapor, the water left in the boiler become less, so this will concentrate the fluoride. Fluoride will not escape from the boiling water.
Freezing water cannot help fluoride escape from water.
How to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
- Choose bottled beverages without fluoride, so you’d better read labels carefully. If beverages don’t use distilled water or RO water, they may be made with fluoridated public water.
- Don’t drink red or black tea. Although it is proven that there are so many healthy chemical compounds in tea, you may need to avoid drinking red or black tea if you plan to reduce the intake of fluoride. The leaves of black and red tea contain high amounts of fluorine.
- Choose supplements without fluoride.
- Some medicines contain fluorine and you should pay attention to it. For example, certain antidepressants and medications for osteoporosis may contain fluorine.
- Avoid canned foods items like tinned fish, because fluoride is widely used as preservative.
- Red or black rock salt contains fluoride, so avoid times contain red or black rock salt.
- If you have the habit of chewing tobacco, you should get rid of it.
- Choose toothpaste without fluoride.